I prepared the following handout to supplement our class’ study of Judah’s return from the Babylonian captivity. We are using Joe Corley’s Bible Basics curriculum.
Cyrus in the Bible [See Cyrus II of Persia at Answers.com]
1. 2 Chronicles 36:22-23 – [The Proclamation of Cyrus] Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and also put it in writing, saying, Thus says Cyrus king of Persia: All the kingdoms of the earth the LORD God of heaven has given me. And He has commanded me to build Him a house at Jerusalem which is in Judah. Who is among you of all His people? May the LORD his God be with him, and let him go up!
2. Ezra 1:1-2 – [ End of the Babylonian Captivity ] Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and also put it in writing, saying, Thus says Cyrus king of Persia: All the kingdoms of the earth the LORD God of heaven has given me. And He has commanded me to build Him a house at Jerusalem which is in Judah.
3. Ezra 1:7-8 – King Cyrus also brought out the articles of the house of the LORD, which Nebuchadnezzar had taken from Jerusalem and put in the temple of his gods; and Cyrus king of Persia brought them out by the hand of Mithredath the treasurer, and counted them out to Sheshbazzar the prince of Judah.
4. Ezra 3:7 – They also gave money to the masons and the carpenters, and food, drink, and oil to the people of Sidon and Tyre to bring cedar logs from Lebanon to the sea, to Joppa, according to the permission which they had from Cyrus king of Persia.
5. Ezra 4:3 – But Zerubbabel and Jeshua and the rest of the heads of the fathersÂ? houses of Israel said to them, Â?You may do nothing with us to build a house for our God; but we alone will build to the LORD God of Israel, as King Cyrus the king of Persia has commanded us.Â?
6. Ezra 4:5 – and hired counselors against them to frustrate their purpose all the days of Cyrus king of Persia, even until the reign of Darius king of Persia.
7. Ezra 5:13-14 – However, in the first year of Cyrus king of Babylon, King Cyrus issued a decree to build this house of God. Also, the gold and silver articles of the house of God, which Nebuchadnezzar had taken from the temple that was in Jerusalem and carried into the temple of BabylonÂ?those King Cyrus took from the temple of Babylon, and they were given to one named Sheshbazzar, whom he had made governor.
8. Ezra 5:17 – Now therefore, if it seems good to the king, let a search be made in the kingÂ?s treasure house, which is there in Babylon, whether it is so that a decree was issued by King Cyrus to build this house of God at Jerusalem, and let the king send us his pleasure concerning this matter.
9. Ezra 6:3 – In the first year of King Cyrus, King Cyrus issued a decree concerning the house of God at Jerusalem: Â?Let the house be rebuilt, the place where they offered sacrifices; and let the foundations of it be firmly laid, its height sixty cubits and its width sixty cubits,
10. Ezra 6:14 – So the elders of the Jews built, and they prospered through the prophesying of Haggai the prophet and Zechariah the son of Iddo. And they built and finished it, according to the commandment of the God of Israel, and according to the command of Cyrus, Darius, and Artaxerxes king of Persia.
[Isaiah Prophesied About Cyrus by Name 150 Years Before Cyrus Was Born]
11. Isaiah 44:28 – Who says of Cyrus, Â?He is My shepherd, And he shall perform all My pleasure, Saying to Jerusalem, Â?You shall be built,Â? And to the temple, Â?Your foundation shall be laid.Â?Â?
12. Isaiah 45:1 – [ Cyrus, GodÂ?s Instrument ] Â?Thus says the LORD to His anointed,To Cyrus, whose right hand I have heldÂ? To subdue nations before him And loose the armor of kings, To open before him the double doors, So that the gates will not be shut:
13. Daniel 1:21 – Thus Daniel continued until the first year of King Cyrus.
14. Daniel 6:28 – So this Daniel prospered in the reign of Darius and in the reign of Cyrus the Persian.
15. Daniel 10:1 – [ Vision of the Glorious Man ] In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia a message was revealed to Daniel, whose name was called Belteshazzar. The message was true, but the appointed time was long; and he understood the message, and had understanding of the vision.